A lot of people do not know the functions of Jmeter and hence, do not see any reason why they should use it. However, Jmeter is very useful and here are some of its important features:
· It can be installed easily: JMeter can easily be installed due to its easy installation ability. It doesn’t require any long installation process, to install JMeter, one only has to unzip the folder and run the “JMeter.bat file” for Windows or the JMeter shell script for Linux/Unix.
· It presents an easy to understand test result: results of test done on JMeter are presented in a visual format like charts, log files, trees, etc. that is easily understood.
· It is a free, open-source application: JMeter is an open-source application and also comes free. It enables makes it possible its users, who are mainly developers, to use the Jmeter source code to either modify or develop.
· It presents a complete multi-threading framework: JMeter has a complete multi-threading framework. With this feature, sampling of multiple threads can be carried out simultaneously, also sampling of different functions by different thread groups can be carried out simultaneously.
· It supports different testing approaches: several testing approaches can be done on Jmeter, and these include Distributed Testing, Functional Testing, and Load Testing, etc.
· It can run on any platform: being a Java-based app, JMeter can easily work on any platform. This makes Jmeter extensible and it can load the performance test in different server types like Mail – POP3; Web – SOAP, HTTP, HTTPS; Database – LDAP, JDBC, JMS.
· Automation testing: JMeter can be used to perform automation testing using Bean Shell and Selenium.
· Capable of simulating users: JMeter is capable of simulating different users using simultaneous threads. It can also generate heavy load against web apps under test.
· It supports multiple protocol: JMeter supports multiple protocols, this makes it possible for Jmeter to run on database server testing, web application testing.
· Capable of testing plans in XML format: users can use JMeter create test plans and supplies in XML format. This is because Jmeter stores its test plans in that format. This makes it possible for users using plugins to write their own test case in order to proceed on the testing process.
· Jmeter is user–friendly: JMeter comes with a natural and friendly UI, which makes it easier and simpler for developers to get familiar with it and use it.
Jmeter has other interesting features, which include: ability to work with either simple GUI or command line operations; full support for both full heavyweight (Swing) and lightweight components, etc.